DMP Artist Educator Statement
I learned about the value of teamwork in this project. Art and learning don't happen on your own but are enhanced when people actively contribute. This project taught me how to articulate clearly my pitch of ideas to use in our piece--something I'm still developing as an artist and educator. I felt this project would be an inspirational way of introducing students to the art form of devising in theatre because of the scaffolding and freedom of design. II also enjoyed how we broke down the assignment into smaller junks. This allowed us to process the assignment, gain insight and ideas for the project, and be consumers of art using technology. I enjoyed the idea of using technology as a means of gathering material to use for devising or even traditional theatrical work.
In our devising project, I contributed in several ways. I first helped by providing insight on theatrical techniques and acting choices because of my background in theatre. My team had a hard time using more live theatre than digital so I encouraged support on ways they can act in person in comparison to having mostly digital media. I also was a support to my group by being one of the main contributors to the editing of technology for our project by helping to put our final video compilation together and also running tests for how our technology would be used in the space. I was always in attendance to our project, actively sharing ideas, participating in the working process of the piece, and helping to be a team player by making sure everyone's opinions were heard and utilized.
Like I said earlier, I find this project to be useful in teaching an introductory course on what devising in theatre is. I would modify the assignment by changing the kinds of pre-work assignments to be more clear in how they could be used in the end devising piece. I would change the end rubric to include certain requirements on the pre-work elements students were required to explore in preparation for their pieces. I did like having a script be required because in previous experiences with devising, a written script was rarely made. If I were to do this in the future, I would require my students to have a vision board then a rough outline, then a rough draft script, then a final script. I would add in the assignment description specific requirements for the script to help them know what is expected but also how to flesh out a solid devised piece.

Comments
Post a Comment